Tuesday 4 December 2012

Short Fiction: Gallery

She said to meet her at the gallery. I arrived, stepping in from the cold and looking around for her. The room was white-walled and brightly lit. The mingling crowd was surrounded by close-up, full-face photographic portraits of weight-lifters at full strain, eyes open and blown up to twice life size. Looking through the people there I couldn’t spot her. It was the usual unvaried morass of gallery-goers: inward-turned, champagne-handed and voices bleating over the background buzz.

I weaved through to the next room, separated by a thick blackout curtain. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the lower light. The photographs were calmer this time, of subdued, attentive audiences, possibly for classical music, in rows of tiered seating. Pine panelled walls echoed the photos and the mood seemed to have filtered through to the guests. People spoke in quieter tones, like a massed conspiracy, a prelude to a coup. I could move more easily through this room and, seeing she was not there either, pushed aside the curtain to push on.

I was greeted by a chaos of waxwork sculptures in jubilant poses, wearing bright military marching band uniforms in disarray. There were no weapons but dented tubas, drums and trombones littered the marble floor. The sculptures crowded the room so I could not see the opposite wall and the guests were forced to take a circuitous path around the still riot. I weaved through, peering ahead and anxious to find her.

I saw her ahead of me, framed by false wax bodies and all the more alive for it. She looked so elegant.

No comments:

Post a Comment